Nick,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Nick Arnett"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 8:54 PM
Subject: Really slow shutdown with Innodb, db not accessible?

> For the last four hours or so, I've been waiting for MySQL (4.0.12 on W2K)
> to complete a shutdown.  The fast shutdown flag is not set
> (innodb_fast_shutdown=0), so I assume it is doing a purge and merge... but
> in the meantime, I don't have any access to the server -- clients simply
> can't connect.  This is a real problem, since it renders the database
> useless for a long period of time.  My Innodb table is about 15 GB and
> probably has about 10 million records in various tables.
>
> When the darn thing finally shuts down, I'll restart with fast shutdown
on,
> but I'm wondering how foolish it would be to kill the process, given that
> Innodb should then do a crash repair.  Would the crash repair take longer
> than what it's doing now?  Would the  server be inaccessible as it is now?

crash recovery is usually much faster than purge and merge.

Killing the mysqld process is a legal (and the fastest :)) way of shutting
down InnoDB.

Why did you set fast_shutdown=0?

By the way, I am not sure the setting really affects the variable value at
all, since in versions < 4.0.15 there was a bug that it was specified as a
NO_ARG parameter.

> Besides enabling fast shutdown, what else will help avoid this kind of
thing
> in the future?
>
> Thanks for any info...
>
> --