FYI, as I looked at the code that led up to this, I have realized that MySQL
was doing a huge rollback, which ended up taking about five hours.  It was
rolling back about 2 million INSERTs, I think.  The rollback really was not
necessary, so I've changed the appropriate code so that it's no longer a
transaction.

The culprit was some table locking that improved performance quite a bit
when the tables were MyISAM.  Gotta go look for more of those lurking in the
corners, I guess.

--
Nick Arnett
Phone/fax: (408) 904-7198