At 14:55 +0000 7/30/03, Thierno Cissé wrote:
Hi Paul Dubois,

Please reply to the list, not just to me directly. Thanks.

we late to answers due to administration problems.
MySQL doesn't have anything to do with HTTP connections.
Next is an extract of MySQL documentation (MySQL reference manual up to
Version 4.1.0-alpha).

...In other words, this value is the size of the listen queue for
incoming TCP/IP connections.
Your operating system has its own limit on the size of this queue. The
manual
page for the Unix listen(2) system call should have more details. Check
your OS
documentation for the maximum value for this variable. Attempting to set
back_log
higher than your operating system limit will be ine®ective.

And , in relation to back_log=600 variable in my my.cnf file, I want to
know if
there is an effect to setting this variable with a value higher that
system parameter
listen queue size ?
This response will help to determine the causes of bugs which appears
in our web site as soon as apache HTTP processes which interact with
MySQL server
tends to higher value like 300-400 process .
Think in advance

back_log refers to the size of the queue for connections that have not yet been accepted (though the precise semantics for this may depend on your operating system. For example, the meaning of "queued" on Linux appears to have changed with Linux 2.2, according to my listen(2) manpagge.)

It sounds like you're more interested in the number of active connections
that can be maintained, in which case the max_connections variable is likely
to be of more use to you.

With respect to setting back_log higher than the value allowed by your
operating system, it's just as the MySQL manual says:  Setting it higher
than the OS limit won't get you anything.  (How could it? The OS won't
let you exceed its own limit.)

Also, it's not clear from your message whether the "bugs" to which you
allude above are problems with your web server (and its connections),
or connections between your web server and your MySQL server... depends
on what symptoms you're observing.

-----Original Message----- From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: mercredi 30 juillet 2003 04:44 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: how listen queue size affect MySQL on RedHat