Hi,

I was working on some merge tables this morning and it worked fine, but after a few unsuccessful table creation requests (I was making some tests), I could not alter or select from a table for the following reason:

mysql> create table test_table (country CHAR(2) NOT NULL) TYPE=MERGE UNION=(countries);
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from test_table;
ERROR 1016: Can't open file: 'test_table.MRG'. (errno: 143)

mysql> check table test_table;
+-------------------------+-------+----------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Table | Op | Msg_type | Msg_text |
+-------------------------+-------+----------+-------------------------------------------------+
| statscounter.test_table | check | error | Can't open file: 'test_table.MRG'. (errno: 143) |
+-------------------------+-------+----------+-------------------------------------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> repair table test_table;
+-------------------------+--------+----------+-------------------------------------------------+
| Table | Op | Msg_type | Msg_text |
| statscounter.test_table | repair | error | Can't open file: 'test_table.MRG'. (errno: 143) |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I then dropped the table and attempted to create a new one, with no success. Also tried another table name, or putting the table in another database, and that did not work either. Since it worked earlier, I tried restarting the MySQL server, but that didn't correct the problem either.

Do you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong, or what needs to be done to get rid of that error?

I thought about submitting a bug report but do not know how this error could be reproduced on another machine.

I am running 4.1.0 on dual-CPU debian box with SCSI RAID hard drives, if that can help.

Thanks!

Pierre-Luc Soucy