I have a database of books that was originally created as a flat file.
Each record has a number of fields, including the authors name.  I'm
trying to convert the database to something a little more efficient.
I've created a new table (called Authors) of unique authors names and
assigned each one a unique ID.  I've added a new field in the original
table (called Books) for the author's ID.  Now, I need to update the
original table with the author ID from the Author's table.

Something like this:

UPDATE Books SET AuthorID = Authors.AuthorID WHERE AuthorName =
Authors.AuthorName

This obviously doesn't work.  Any assistance on how to forumulate this
query (or, if I'm headed down the wrong path, the correct way to do this
operation) greatly appreciated.