James Fryer wrote:
At 10:17 am 14/08/03, Nils Valentin wrote:

The simple answer would be that the syntax says:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/UNION.html

SELECT...
UNION...
SELECT...

Further down the page it says

If you want to use an ORDER BY for the total UNION result, you should use parentheses:

(SELECT a FROM table_name WHERE a=10 AND B=1 ORDER BY a LIMIT 10)
UNION
(SELECT a FROM table_name WHERE a=11 AND B=2 ORDER BY a LIMIT 10)
ORDER BY a;

Yup James,

Well spotted, thats the exeption which I meant. See that each SELECT statement has a ORDER BY clause attached, the single SELECTS as well as the final one ?

That seeems to be the only exception so far which I know off..

Sorry if this didn't came out so clear in my wordinbg in the last e-mail.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan

which is what I am doing.

The problem seems to be with the syntax of CREATE TABLE and INSERT INTO, not the syntax of UNION.

Jim