Hi FT,

Thats because you specified the wrong host in the syntax below:

mysql> GRANT ALL ON *.* TO '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' indentified by 'my_password'
 with grant option;

Try it again with the correct hostid (the one you are using with phpmyadmin)
or put a wildcard like % for the

mysql> GRANT ALL ON *.* TO 'root'@'%' indentified by 'my_password'
 with grant option;

Best regards