-->-----Original Message-----
-->From: Ian Neubert [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 1:00 PM
-->To: Dathan Vance Pattishall
-->Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->Subject: RE: MySQL Replication
-->

-->Off hand do you know any good resources on how to setup a highly
-->available
-->and load balanced MySQL system? Setting up replication is easy
enough,

Highly available systems work generally in your design but here are some
suggestions based on some things I've been doing.

1) Configure the 2 masters to share the same IP with VRRP.
2) The sub master or fail-over master needs to have the same data and
same bin-log so CHANGE MASTER TO can be avoided on the slaves where a
auto reconnect can reliably pick up from where they left off.
 - Suggestions mirror over the network or write the bin logs on a shared
NFS device (another point of failure)
3) Software need to monitor the master / sub-master to fail over and
keep the primary master down since fail back should be done manually.
This is due to order of events such as repair etc -what happens 1st.

There are a few steps I'm forgetting but this should work.

-->but I
-->can't find much data about getting the whole thing to work together
so to
-->speak (highly available writes).
-->
-->Thanks!