Also, one has to work out the cost of high availability.  If you're
talking about a situation where you reduce downtime from 4 hours/yr to
.5 hours/yr and it costs you x dollars, you have to make sure that the
extra 3.5 hours of downtime would cost more than that much money.

The system you have appears to cost $10-100k more than a standard
master-slave setup.  If you're using a stable unix, stable mysql, good
hardware (Sun,HP,IBM), and RAID in a datacenter.  You're talking about
99.95% uptime right there.  Throw in a slave and it's probably 99.99%.

People always seem to forget that downtime is usually caused by human
error on a well made system.  Human error is what most effort needs to
be taken to correct.  That means putting your effort into reducing
DELETE and UPDATE statement rights, keeping everybody off the machines,
having auto_commit off by default.

Just think of all the times you've seen a service unavailble due to
somebody [EMAIL PROTECTED] up as compared to a kernel fault or a faulty RAID card.