From: Stephen Touset [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 10:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MySQL to syslog

Is there now a way within MySQL to log to syslog? I was reading an archived
email conversation between Sinisa Milivojevic and Vincent Stoessel in which
they seemed to indicate that there was no need to log to syslog. As Vincent
only had a request for timestamps in the error log, Sinisa simply satisfied
that demand and moved on.

However, I have a different need. I'm setting up several machines on a
network, and wish for them all to send logs through stunneled syslog
connections to a central logging server, where I can run logcheck et al to
generate reports of system abuse and ensure that all services are running
smoothly. However, with MySQL logging to it's own file, this presents a
problem to me. Some solutions I can see are simply rsync'ing the logs over
daily or mounting the directory over NFS and copying the logs. However, both
of these require me to set up new services, and/or change already-existing
firewall rules, and write new scripts to do the fetching/retrieval, all of
which takes time and effort--not to mention, needlessly complicates the
system.

Have other people expressed a need to do this? I can't imagine that I'm the
first person to run into this limitation, so all I can reason is that either
a) the functionality's in there, and my Google skills have failed me, or b)
there are valid reasons for the lack of inclusion, and there's a simple
workaround. If either is the case, please, let me know!

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen Touset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>