Joseph,

How big your table files are? Are they MyISAM or Innodb ? Do you have
indexes? How much memory do you have? Is your MySQL running on a
dedicated server or do you run anything else on your db server?

This questions needs to be answered before suggesting anything logical.
But general suggestions can be :

1 - Add indexes to your tables and use that indexes when you're
selecting rows.
2 - increase key_buffer_size to 32 or 64 or even more depending on your
server memory
3- Add memory to your server if you have less then 256 Mb and willing to
have fast db performance.

Kayra Otaner