Fred van Engen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 10:54:32AM +0200, Hans van Harten wrote:
>> My checks might not match those of (the next version of) MySQL and
>> at that time the difference in thoughts will pass unnoticed !
> I agree that MySQL should complain but I'm not sure it should fail.
> The problem is that MySQL has always behaved this way and is in many
> cases documented to do so. Some programs may expect MySQL to do
> clipping of  large values (your example in another post) and will fail if
this
> changes.
Preserving the good old installed base, I cannot agree more!!

> If MySQL should fail on a simple INSERT with out-of-bounds values, it
> should also fail when the out-of-bounds value is generated in a
> complex query involving expressions with fields (or subqueries).
Right ... 2^66
    insert test (FUN ) value ( '25' );
    select * from test where fun<2147483648*2147483648*16;
return 0 records.

> How would you
> know for which records an UPDATE or INSERT failed? Would you want it
> to fail the entire query and not just problematic records or even
> fields?
Ordinary, UPDATE or INSERT would do one record at a time.
BTW INSERT -or REPLACE- do croak about misfits while using FKs and then do
not process any field -and none of the other records, if you used an record
set-

> That would hardly be possible with MyISAM tables and would need some
> kind of subtransactions in any transactioned tables.
My plan was to use rollback (on Innodb) directly after croak, then check and
report.
Ultimately you could write your own rollback-ish mechanisme...
... hell, could even write my own RDBMS or re-invent wheels ;-(

Anyway, thanks to all responding.

HansH