Asif,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Asif Iqbal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: innodb doc in mysql.com

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
>
> > Asif,

MySQL
> > > database directories. Then you can try the InnoDB database creation
again.
> > "
> > >
> > > If I do this, will it break my database ? I am still new with InnoDB
> > concept
> >
> > of course you will lose all your data if you delete the ibdata files.
>
> My ibdata1 is reaching the disk limit ? Can I rotate it or do I need to
add
> another partition and reference new ibdata2 to that disk ?

if you have free disk space on another disk partition, you can add another
ibdata2 file to that disk.

http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#Adding_and_removing:

"
5 Adding and removing InnoDB data and log files

To add a new data file to the tablespace you have to shut down your MySQL
database, edit the my.cnf file, adding a new file to innodb_data_file_path,
and then start MySQL again.

If your last data file was defined with the keyword autoextend, then the
procedure to edit my.cnf is the following. You have to look at the size of
the last data file, round the size downward to the closest multiple of 1024
* 1024 bytes (= 1 MB), and specify the rounded size explicitly in
innodb_data_file_path. Then you can add another data file. Remember that
only the last data file in the innodb_data_file_path can be specified as
auto-extending.

An example: We assume you had just one auto-extending data file ibdata1
first, and that file grew to 988 MB. Below a possible line after adding
another auto-extending data file.

innodb_data_home_dir =
innodb_data_file_path = /ibdata/ibdata1:988M;/disk2/ibdata2:50M:autoextend

Currently you cannot remove a data file from InnoDB. To decrease the size of
your database you have to use mysqldump to dump all your tables, create a
new database, and import your tables to the new database
"
> Asif Iqbal
> http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8B686E08
> There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Transactions, foreign keys, and InnoDB Hot Backup: a non-free hot backup
tool for MySQL
Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/