> Lots of stuff
> STEMMING! (controlled more finely than server level I hope),
multi-byte
> character set support, proximity operators. Anything to get it closer
> Verity's full-text functionality. ;-)

Yes, all these things would be nice... :)

> And the FULLTEXT index shouldn't always be chosen
> for non-const join types when another index would find less rows
first.

The short answer is that it doesn't work that way (also, I think this is
why there are no composite indexes between integer and fulltext
indexes). The two systems don't know anything about each other.

> Also, are the current MySQL versions using the "2 level" full-text
> format yet? I'm thinking not?

No. MySQL 4.1.0 has some low-level support for this, but FTS needs to
altered (quite a bit I'd guess) to use it. So there is hope that it will
come in the 4.1.x line, but no guarantee.

> In November 2001, he said the new .frm format would be here "this
> year." It's been almost 2 years since then, so when is it do? ;-/

I think it was pushed back to version 5.1. I'd figure another two years.

--steve-