On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Wendell Dingus wrote:

> I didn't notice a reply to this when first posted. Surely someone has
> stuffed a lot of memory into an Opteron or Itanium by now and knows the
> answer. Is a 64-bit Malloc all that is necessary or does INNODB have to
> specifically support more memory in some other fashion? Heikki?  Thanks in
> advance!

well, interestingly according to the innodb release notes, on windows:

MySQL/InnoDB-4.1.0, April 3, 2003

    * InnoDB now supports up to 64 GB of buffer pool memory in a
    Windows 32-bit Intel computer. This is possible because InnoDB
    can use the AWE extension of Windows to address memory over
    the 4 GB limit of a 32-bit process. A new startup variable
    innodb_buffer_pool_awe_mem_mb enables AWE and sets the size of
    the buffer pool in megabytes.

not sure what it would take to make that work on linux, but if all
you need is more memory, and the fairly reasonable performance hit
is ok, you may be a lot better off just getting an x86 box with 8
dimm slots and loading them up with 1 or 2 gig dimms... then making
AWE in mysql work on linux.  The cost you pay to go the 64 bit box is
pretty hefty.