A very good question! One which I will attempt to provide a half-decent
answer for.

Trying to execute a transaction that involves grabbing massive amounts of
data from various tables while still allowing updates to be committed can
be tricky. At best, this means performance problems. Please don't get me
wrong - MySQL is the fastest database on the planet (and it looks to only
get faster, with additional query caches, better designed caches and a
helper thread architecture in the works) but there are certain things that
are just hard to do quickly, even if you are the demigods that work at
Innobase Oy and MySQL AB.

The advantage of other methods is that you avoid all sorts of nasty
locking on various parts of your database. The advantage of the Hot Copy
product that Innobase Oy sell is that it doesn't place any locks on your
InnoDB table space when it runs.

In summary, it's not a question as to whether the current methods work,
it's a question as to how well suited they are to your needs. For mine
they work well, but if I was processing 600 queries / second, I think I'd
want ibcopy to help me out.

Regards,

Chris

<quote who="P Srinivasulu">