Hi All,

my $0.0.2... anybody correct me please if you know it better...;-)

2003年 8月 27日 水曜日 23:22、P Srinivasulu さんは書きました:
> If the backup solutions are there already, why is that a future
> requirement for Mysql?
>
> Thanks,
> Srinivasulu.

> Hi!
>
> You can currently do this with InnoDB with mysqldump (look at the
> --single-transaction switch). I use it for backing up a 12 GB mail
> database without problems.

"mysqldump --single-transaction" is backing up all tables in a single
transaction, see the remark "MUTUALLY exclusive with lock tables", meaning
that NO other client can modify the tables/ data at that time (which may take
some time for big databases ).

mysqlhotcopy is only working on MyISAM table formats yet and again locking the
whole table. But as its a read lock other clients can still read the data.
However, this perl script runs only local (must be run on the server).

As for the question about the online backup facility, I believe what meant is
that you can run an online backup from a tool like phpmyadmin, xoops,
basically a normal webpage, etc.

The difference of all these tools is

a) how they accesss and lock the tables/data you want to backup
b) the format of the output file (txt,sql format, binary etc.
c) the supported features

I hope this answers some of your questions. Let me know if you need more
details.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan