On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:54:54 -0400
"Mark Richards" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am still quite new to MySQL and have a basic question.  I am using PHP, so
> forgive me if this is more a PHP issue.
>
> I want to perform an update to a specific record based on a condition.  In
> the outer loop, I have Query1, which returns set Result1.  Inside this loop,
> I run an UPDATE query which returns Result2.
>
> // executed first query...
> while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result1))
>       {
>         // get the record ID for the row we are on.
>         $recid = $row["id"];
>         // construct a new  query
>         $q2 ="UPDATE  `table`  SET  `review` = 1  where id =
> '".$recid."';";
>         $result2 = mysql_query($q2)
>       }

You don't need execute UPDATE's in the loop in this case.
Try  smthing like that:
<?

$ids = Array();
while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result1))
{
 $ids[] = $row["id"];
}

$ids_string = implode(',',$ids);

//of course, we need to check if $id_string is not empty

$q2 ="UPDATE  table  SET  review = 1  WHERE id IN (".$ids_string.")";

?>

--
WBR,
Antony Dovgal aka tony2001