At 12:00 +1000 9/9/03, Daniel Kasak wrote:
Hi all.

I'm using MySQL-4.0.14, compiled by Gentoo's ebuild script.
Somewhere along the line, I've picked up a '--skip-locking' flag that I can't find the source of.
It's not in the /etc/init.d/mysql script. It's not in my my.cnf. Gentoo has a start-stop script which is run by scripts in /etc/init.d, but I doubt it's in there. Maybe it's a build-time option. Anyway, wherever it is, ps ax shows the mysqld is running with --skip-locking.

/etc/init.d/mysql invokes mysqld_safe. Have a look there.

It's been suggested that I add 'enable-locking' to the [mysqld] section of my.cnf.

You might want to reconsider. It's disabled by default on all systems as of MySQL 4, and was disable by default before that on Linux.

What do you want it for?

If I do this, which option will win: skip-locking, or enable-locking?

skip-locking, because it's added on the command line by mysqld_safe, and command line options take precedence over those in option files.

-- Daniel Kasak IT Developer * NUS Consulting Group* Level 18, 168 Walker Street North Sydney, NSW, Australia 2060 T: (+61) 2 9922-7676 / F: (+61) 2 9922 7989 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] website: http://www.nusconsulting.com

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/