I'm confused... The 4.1 alpha features says that MySQL now has help files
installed with the server. I did a clean install (Win2K), following all
directions to the best of my ability, and find no help files. I did
discover a SQL file that purported to "fill" the help files:
fill_help_tables.sql. All they seem to do, however, is create empty
tables. What am I missing? It's not critical, of course, I seem to find
most of the help I need either in the documentation or on the internet.
But it would be nice to have the server based help when I just need a
quick reminder of parameters or the exact name of a function or whatever.

Also, I did a clean install using RPMs on a Redhat 9.0 machine. A straight
install (rpm -Uvh) failed on a bunch of dependencies -- including the fact
that apparently MySQL 3.2.? was installed with Redhat. I did an rpm -e on
the existing installation, tried again on the new distributions and got
failed dependencies for libcrypto 0.9.6 and libssl (don't remember the
version number). The Redhat 9 installation has libcrypto 0.9.7a, so I'm
not sure why the dependency check fails. I whent ahead with a --nodeps
install and the basic server seems to run alright. However, when I then
tried to install -Max, the service wouldn't start. I haven't pursued that
problem -- simply went back to the basic server install. Actually, I had
to do a complete reinstall of the server to get it to work. One question:
do I need Max to get the transaction type capabilities for committing,
roll back, etc? The documentation seems to imply yes in some places and no
in others. Is the InnoDB in MySQL-server, enough to get these
capabilities?

Thanks.

Randy