Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a failover mysql server, and for that I need
replication. Now here's is how I would do it (3 servers, A and B are
located next to each other, C is off site):

A is master of B
B is master of A
B is master of C

Now I don't think this will cause much problems, as the documentation
describes circular replication is possible, so this should be possible
too. To be sure not have collisions, the application only writes to A and
will use B from the moment A is down (implementing this using a heartbeat
trick with fake ip).
As you can see, B is master of C, so changes go from A to B and from B to
C.

Now the questions come:

1) is it ok to put the following in each /etc/my.cnf file:

[mysqld]
log-bin
server-id=<unique number>
log-slave-updates
<other, non-replication, parameters>

2) if B goes down, writes from A can't propagate to C. So on C, I would
issue "stop slave", "change master to" (with master uid/pass), "start
slave". But is this enough for C to be in sync with A then? Or does the
"change master to" command also needs the master_log_file and
master_log_pos parameters, as mentioned on
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication_HOWTO.html ?

3) I need transactions, so I suppose I need innoDB type of
tables/databases, correct?

4) if I create a table, do I need to specify "type=innodb" at the end? Or
is this the default with 4.0.15? And if it is not the default, what should
I put in my.cnf to make it so?

5) for logfile rotation/deletion (like the replication log, binary log,
etc...), I would use the mysql-rotate-logs script (which does the sql
command "flush logs") and delete all logs more than 5 days old (if all
slaves are up. Is this ok?

tx for any responses already!

Franky