Checking and repairing a table is faster using myisamchk when the mysqld
process is down. This fact is due to more of the resource of a system is
dedicated to myisamchk and the system is not trying to process locked
queries, this is the main motivation (for me) to have a db down to do a
repair.

Now wouldn't it be cool to have a binary much like myisamchk to alter
tables when a db is off line? To force the alter to move faster by
allocating more resources to it.

//currently I simulate this behavior by shutting down the mysql server
and bring it back up on another port with //myisam_sort_buffer_size=96M.

Is there a mysql tool that can do this? If not could someone direct me
to the various mysql C++ source files that controls the behavior of

ALTER TABLE <TABLENAME> modify.

I'd like to work my C++ skills and contribute to mysql by building such
a tool if one doesn't already exist.

- Dathan Vance Pattishall
  - Sr. Programmer and mySQL DBA for FriendFinder Inc.
  - http://friendfinder.com/go/p40688