We are currently using an access database going through an odbc connection in vb.net
for our application (which is still in development).  The plan was to use MySQL in the
end and we are needing to cross that bridge.

I was wondering the Performance differences between running MySQL on a Linux box vs. a
WinTel Platform.  The WinTel looks inviting because we can put in an easy to
administrate Windows 98 or XP Pro box in the corner of our clients office.  I would
rather not tackle Linux as I would need file sharing and the ability to backup and
remote administration.

Pros?  Cons?  I know the windows box would need a good reboot now and then and what is
the performance hit on a WinTel 98/XP Pro platform vs Linux?   Looking at a 40K record
database with maybe 3 users at a time running 5-10 Large (length of the select
statment is over 500 characters normally) queries at a time.

Any help is greatly appriciated!

Thanks!

Jeremy Proffitt
Computer Programmer, Pearson Appraisal Services, Inc.