> > Pros?  Cons?  I know the windows box would need a good reboot now
> > and then and what is the performance hit on a WinTel 98/XP Pro
> > platform vs Linux?   Looking at a 40K record database with maybe
> > 3 users at a time running 5-10 Large (length of the select
> > statment is over 500 characters normally) queries at a time.

I would not bother with '98 if XP is an option.  If it is a windows shop
then go with that, but if it is OS agnostic, and you or ANOTHER will be
admining it, then my choice would be a *nix variant as it is less likely to
have some nasty RPC bug and easier to admin remotely.  This assume good *nix
knowledge.

Apart from that the performance will be roughly the same, I say roughly as
you do not need to run a truck load of stuff on a DB server in *nix land, so
there is more resource available for apps, but I doubt your app will stress
a modern machine that much.

There cat amongst the pigeons.

Greg