All - We're using MySQL under Linux to capture and analyze network traffic.
We have two tables that store all the messages sent, and, another table that
stores all the messages received.  The sent table has an transmit column (as
a double) and the received table has a received time sent time (from the
incoming packet) both stored as doubles (seconds and fractions of seconds).
In addition, there are a few other fields that distinctly define each
message (e.g., source IP, source port, etc.).

We're trying to perform some analysis on the data and seem to be having
trouble matching columns of type double.  For example, we loop through all
of the received messages and try to find the corresponding message in the
transmit table based on the transmit time (which appears on both tables).
However, when the double transmit time is part of the query, we can't seem
to find matches.  Wrapping the transmit time in the select statement with
ROUND() finds the matching records.

Is it possible that some rounding is taking place here?  We've considered
storing time as two separate INT columns (like the timeval struct), however,
we'd prefer to have 1 time column.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark