Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Zawodny"
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: explain

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 02:12:02PM -0700, Hsiu-Hui Tseng wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > When I do a explain on a query, I got the following:
> > +-----------------------------------------------------+
> > | Comment                                             |
> > +-----------------------------------------------------+
> > | Impossible WHERE noticed after reading const tables |
> > +-----------------------------------------------------+
> >
> > does this say that my query is using Primary key?
>
> It says that MySQL doesn't believe the query you've asked makes
> sense.

If the query didn't "make sense" such as if the WHERE contained 1=0, it
would just say "Impossible WHERE." The additional "noticed after reading
const tables" is just that; an impossible WHERE detected after reading
the const tables (<= 1 row or where the WHERE refers all parts of a
unique key with constant values). So yes, to answer the original
question, it is using the PRIMARY KEY (or a UNIQUE one) or the table has
less than 2 rows.

Since only a single key lookup is needed, it can quickly tell if there's
a matching row or not. If there is a matching row, EXPLAIN will output
the usual columns of information.

Matt