Have you tried using the blackslash? `\` instead of the forward slash `/`?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 10:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: DataDir question

I am using a portable drive with a few tables on it that I copied from a
MySQL server.  My intent is to be able to transport the portable drive home
(with
the large DB) and plug it into my Windows server to continue working.

To do this, I need to change the datadir to the portable drive (in my case
it's the L: drive).  I've tried putting an entry in my c:\winnt\my.ini file
under the [mysqld] line as follows:

[mysqld]
datadir=L:/dbdir

...but it refuses to startup.  I have to admit that am more comfortable in
Linux, so I could be missing the error or logfile.  The only thing in the
Event
Log is:

The MySql service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s). The
following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

I've also removed the my.ini file and specified --datadir L:/dbdir in the
services window and that seems to start the server ok, but I can't see the
database tables.

Anyone know what I am doning wrong?