On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 06:09:22PM -0700, Misao wrote:
> What follows is a short story, all true and quite stressful. No database
> servers were harmed in the making of this server, but a couple were
> threatened with loose rack mount rails.
>
> We are trying to move over to InnoDB, but we have a few problems that we
> just can't figure out:
>
> First, for some reason, MySQL claims it can not claim more than .5Gigs
> of RAM from a system that has 4Gigs of RAM total and not being used for
> anything but MySQL.

How does it make this claim?

> Secondly, MySQL replication leaves a problem for our data warehouse and
> replication. When you use MySQL binary replication, it has been my
> experience that it is all or nothing. You can't choose just one database
> to replicate. You can start or stop just one database on the slave from
> being replicated. If you stop one, they all stop. This is a problem,
> because what we need to do is stop replication at midnight, and then do
> a dump of the database. Just one of them. When we stop it now, they all
> stop so now we have databases that are idle and not getting up to date
> replication while this one database gets mysqldumped for hours. InnoDB
> hot backup is a swell thing, but it doesn't dump the database in a
> useable format for anything except bringing an entire server online.

Have you considered running separate instances of MySQL, one for each
database?

> Before, what we did with MyISAM was a crude but workable in house
> replication system that used the text file update logs to replicate to a
> slave. This allowed us to replicate by database, and in turn only affect
> that one database for replication and dumping. It also allowed us to
> attach a data warehouse program to the replication so that it could grab
> the information it needed. With MySQL binary replication, we can not do
> either of these activities.

Sure you can.  Use the mysqlbinlog tool.  It has a "-d" argument that will
only show queries from the given database.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.15-Yahoo-SMP: up 10 days, processed 392,383,279 queries (417/sec. avg)