Ive been fighting some strange demons and I think they
may be related.

I am trying to benchmark our application by load
testing with various numbers of users and threads. App
is java/jsp and architecture is Tomcat and Mysql.
Platform is Mac jaguar.

First off I had the "Too Many Open files" error
message. I got rid of this by changing the descriptors
on the mac by typing (from shell) limit descriptors
2048. I also increased maxprocs by limit maxprocs 400.

Open file issue went away... However, in its place I
got a less nasty error, that did not knock over
tomcat, "Connection reset by Peer". This error I have
researched and have not come up with a solution yet.

However, I did find that mysql by design caches
threads. So, what I Have is a database with large
numbers of sleeping threads as seen by typing show
processlist within mysql. No prob right? WRONG...

If I dont bounce the database, the sleeping thread
count keeps increasing and finally hangs mysql and
tomcat falls over. These sleeping processes are
holding resources, my thoughts are holding some
connections.

More searching leads me to adjust wait_timeout and
interactive_timeout to something less than its default
setting. According to the Mysql manual and a similar
thread on this topic in the archives, this should
remove the sleeping threads after the adjusted amount
of timeout. However, the threads DO NOT get removed
after the adjusted amount of timeout. They stay
sleeping.

My question is twofold: Can the cause of the
"Connection reset by peer" be caused by sleeping
processes taking up resources? If not what could cause
this?

How do I get rid of the sleeping threads????

=====