Randy Chrismon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Don't think this is the issue. If it were, I wouldn't be able to use
>>> MySQLCC on my own local database which is also 4.1.0 alpha, would I?
>

>> Do you use password when you connect to the local 4.1 MySQL server?
>
> Yes. No password, no entry.

This is the answer why you can connect to the local 4.1 MySQL server with MySQLCC. Set
up a password and you should get "Client does not support .." error, too.

>> Can you connect without --protocol option using 4.1 mysql command-line client
>> program?
>
> No. If I leave off the --protocol option, I get the error message saying I should
> upgrade my client, even though both sides of the transaction are 4.1.0 alpha.
>
> Well, now that I read your response more carefully, no, I don't need the --protocol
> option if I am connecting to my local 4.1.0 database using the command line. I DO
> need it, however, to connect to the 4.1.0 database on the other machine. On the
> other hand, I do NOT need the option if I connect to a 4.0.15 database on yet
> another machine. With MySQLCC, I can connect to the local 4.1.0 database and the
> remote 4.0.15 database. Trying to connect to the 4.1.0 database yields the same
> upgrade-your-client error message I get with the command line if I leave off the
> ---protocol=TCP option.

Hmm .. strange I can connect with 4.1 client to the 4.1 server without any problem
(with or without --protocol option).

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com