I have a very simple table.

commentid, commentref (each field is an INT)

Each record is a comment... commentid is the ID (each new record is a higher #).. and the commentref field if the "story" the comment refers to.

I want to be able to list the stories in order from "most recent comment" onward.

I've tried

select commentid, commentref from comments GROUP BY commentref ORDER by commentid DESC;

However, the results are NOT showing me the stories in order from most active comments onward... Maybe too much soda and sugar - but any thoughts?