For instance;

mysql> select commentid, commentref from comments GROUP BY commentref ORDER by commentref DESC, commentid;
+-----------+------------+
| commentid | commentref |
+-----------+------------+
| 80 | 188 |
| 73 | 187 |
| 76 | 185 |
| 56 | 181 |
| 59 | 180 |
| 60 | 179 |
| 50 | 169 |

You can see for record 181 that "56" is the "highest" number after 181 is grouped. However this is not true;

mysql> select commentid, commentref from comments WHERE commentref=181;
| commentid | commentref |
|        56 |        181 |
|        57 |        181 |
|        79 |        181 |