So then Ken Menzel says...
> Check out
> MAX_ROWS = #
> and
> AVG_ROW_LENGTH = #
> options in http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/CREATE_TABLE.html
>
> Set MAX_ROWS to a very very large number
> You can set these with ALTER TABLE. See section 6.5.4 ALTER TABLE
> Syntax using table options at the end.
>
> You can verify your changes by running SHOW TABLE STATUS before the
> change then again after the change.
>
> Have you done this already?

We tried it once, but it failed due to an unconnected problem (out of
diskspace). The thing is, the manual explicitly states (in para.
4.4.6.9) that this is a solution for an error 135 (No more room in
record file) and that an error 136 (No more room in index file) is
fixed by a table repair. So we decided to try something different
first.

No matter, we've freed up some diskspace now, so we'll try again. Thanks
for replying. I'm sure I'll be back if it doesn't work ;-)

Groeten,                                        - Jacco