So Ken Menzel says:
> Hi Jacco,
>     Perhaps the manual needs to be enhanced,  but it is only a guide,
> perhaps the language should be softened or 'error 136' modified that
> it could be either problem. Either way I hope this fixes you problem,
> my guess would be you have very large rows of data, which is why you
> did not hit the error 135 first.  I hope this takes care of it for
> you,  we have created very large tables (150 million rows) and had
> good success,  as have others.  If this does not fix it we may have
> dig a little deeper.  Let us know.

Just thought I'd let you know, increasing the number of rows to 1000000000000
(that's 10^12) did the trick. We now have 4-byte index pointers with a maximum
index-file size of 4398046510079 bytes.

Thank you very much for your help.

Groeten,                               - Jacco

(still going to submit a manual bug, though)