I have imported 1000s of records into a table and even spent some time cleaning up characters which I messed up as I imported them (not the fault of the DB layer, but the result of bringing things into a text editor), but now I have the following problem.

I have a whole series of author and book/article names for bibliographic entries. I am using whatever character set and collation was given by default when I installed MySQL and imported the data.
I now have trouble ordering those with diacriticals. With no explicit collation nor character sets specified many (most? all?) diacritically marked characters follow the English characters.

My problem is that what I am sorting is a long list of bibliographic entries which are in various European languages including French, Spanish and German.

I have read some of the collation sequence documentation and the use of characters sets and I'm not sure how to proceed.

Would I just define an appropriate character set for the author and title columns?
OR
Would I specify an explicit character set in the select.

These are important fields and secondary key fields for this data. Does that make a difference to the appropriate approach I should take?

Which is more approach is more efficient for a table which has many times more reads than writes.

Help!
-Paul