From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday 14 October 2003 19:19
To: Andrew Braithwaite; '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: Auto generate MySQL schema based on a text file?

At 19:05 +0100 10/14/03, Andrew Braithwaite wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a perl module or other code that can look at a text
file (CSV, tab-delim etc..) of data and determine a MySQL table
definition from it?

The data may or may not have a set of column headers as the first line.

You can use the guess_table.pl utility that's part of the software distribution that accompanies MySQL Cookbook. The distribution is available at:

http://www.kitebird.com/mysql-cookbook/

Follow the Downloads link, grab the recipes distribution, unpack it, and
look in the transfer directory.

It requires tab-delimited data. For other formats, you may be able to use
the cvt_file.pl util that's in the same directory to convert them to
tab-delimited.

% guess_table.pl --help
Usage: guess_table.pl [options] [data_file]

--help
     Print this message
--labels, -l
     Interpret first input line as row of table column labels
     (default = c1, c2, ...)
--lower, --upper
     Force column labels to be in lowercase or uppercase --quote-names
    Quote table and column names with `` characters (in case they are
    reserved words)
--report , -r
     Report mode; print findings rather than generating a CREATE
     TABLE statement
--table=tbl_name, -ttbl_name
     Specify table name (default = t)

I would appreciate it greatly if anyone could give me any pointers to existing stuff as I have to implement this function (and I don't particularly like spending my time painfully churning out regexps if it's not absolutely necessary!! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer