Hi

Ive been searching mysql.com documentation and the web for the subject but
not any usefull info. I want to setup a server running a NPTL capable
kernel (RedHat9 kernel + XFS patches) and a statically compiled mysqld
binary (my ideea is to not have to reinstall the production machine glibc
with NPTL support just for mysqld).

For this I have setup a chroot enviroment on another machine (using
gentoo's stage3 tarball), recompiled glibc 2.3.2 with NPTL support. Some
tests with multi-threaded applications shows everything fine.

First problem is with mysql configure script which checks for
"Linuxthreads" support in a relative strange way (greps for "Linuxthreads"
string to be present in /usr/include/pthread.h). Because glibc 2.3.2 +
nptl doesnt have "Linuxthreads" in pthread.h I had to add that string in a
comment there.

Then I succeded in compiling mysql (statically) with the "configure"
options that are used for compiling MySQL AB binariers too (at least
thats what they say in the mysql docs :)). The server starts up fine and
I succeed into doing simple stuff on it like:
- - connecting with mysql CLI tool
- - changing dbs
- - creating tables
- - dropping tables

But when I exit the mysql CLI tool , mysqld crashes :-/

mysql> show databases;
+----------+
| Database |
+----------+
| mysql    |
| test     |
+----------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> use test
Database changed
mysql> show tables;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

mysql> Bye
#
Number of processes running now: 0
031017 13:23:20  mysqld restarted

/usr/local/mysql/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.15a'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock'  port: 3306
mysqld got signal 6;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=8388600
read_buffer_size=131072
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 225791 K

bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

thd=0x88c9178
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
Cannot determine thread, fp=0x44f2db7c, backtrace may not be correct.
Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows:
0x80953f1
0xffffe420
(nil)
0x82854ce
0x82859b6
0x8274ce2
0x8272e34
0x80950af
0x80a0a1b
0x8272b32
0x82ace6a

New value of fp=(nil) failed sanity check, terminating stack trace!
Please read http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Using_stack_trace.html and follow
instru
ctions on how to resolve the stack trace. Resolved
stack trace is much more helpful in diagnosing the problem, so please do
resolve it
Trying to get some variables.
Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
thd->query at (nil)  is invalid pointer
thd->thread_id=1
The manual page at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.

PS: my first ideea was to look if/how is mysql patched into RedHat9 but
unfortunetly they ship with mysql 3.23.x version :-/

Mihai RUSU                                    Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GPG : http://dizzy.roedu.net/dizzy-gpg.txt    WWW: http://dizzy.roedu.net