When giving sample values for inndob, the manual suggests this:
7.5.3 InnoDB Startup Options
#Set the log file size to about
#25 % of the buffer pool size

then in the same section, this:

# Set the log file size to about
# 15 % of the buffer pool size

It gets worse:
7.5.10
"Make your log files big, even as big as the buffer pool. When InnoDB has written the
log files
full, it has to write the modified contents of the buffer pool to disk in a
checkpoint. Small log
files will cause many unnecessary disk writes. The drawback in big log files is that
recovery time
will be longer."

Which is it? 15%, 25% or 100%?

The other thing that is not mentioned in the manual but should be, is the potential
problems of
running a big key_buffer with big innodb_buffer_pool_size.  I know several different
formulas for
calculating memory usage are given, but its important to note that even though the
key_buffer is
shared across all connections, its easy to see swapping if you aren't careful when
using big
key_buffer and using bing innodb_buffer_pool_size.  Throw in a moderately sized
query_cache_size
and 3 gigs of memory can be eaten up quickly.

Any info on thoughts or ideas on innodb_log_file_size vis a vis
innodb_buffer_pool_size is
welcome.

Thanks!