I've just started working with MySQL. I'm using MySQL version 4.0.14 on Gentoo Linux.

Now, how do use Unicode in a database? I will mostly be storing Japanese and would like to store data using the ucs2 character set. I've been reading chapter 9 (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Charset.html) in the documentation but it hasn't helped. The commands 'SHOW CHARACTER SET', 'SHOW COLLATION', 'CREATE DATABASE foobar CHARACTER SET ucs2' all say there is a syntax error. I tried 'SHOW VARIABLES LIKE "character_sets"' and I get a list that doesn't include either ucs2 or utf8.

What do I need to do to use Unicode in a MySQL database or table?