Hi,

I've recently set up a new linux box and installed MySQL 4 (for the
record, Knoppix/Debian and the 'unstable' MySQL 4 package). I've had no
problems connecting using phpMyAdmin, but when I try to connect remotely
using MySQL Control Center or SQLyog (from Windows) I get the same error
(near enough) from both:

SQLyog:

        ---------------------------
        SQLyog
        ---------------------------
        Error No. 2003
        Can't connect to MySQL server on '[server]' (10061)
        ---------------------------

MySQL Control Center:

        [server] ERROR 2003: Can't connect to MySQL server on '[server]'
(10061)

Searching through the mysql.com documentation led me to
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Can_not_connect_to_server.html, which talks
about unix and tcp/ip sockets. Running mysqladmin version gives me the
following output:

        mysqladmin  Ver 8.40 Distrib 4.0.13, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
        Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult
AB
        This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free
software,
        and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL
license

        Server version          4.0.13-log
        Protocol version        10
        Connection              Localhost via UNIX socket
        UNIX socket             /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
        Uptime:                 2 hours 6 min 24 sec

        Threads: 3  Questions: 450  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 16
        Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 5  Queries per second avg: 0.059

Since the documentation (I forget where) showed the version output
showing the tcp port the server was running on (and mine doesn't), I am
led to believe the server isn't running on a tcp/ip socket. From what I
can tell though, my.cnf does have the necessary lines for doing this -
port=3306 (as per default) is in there, uncommented-out.

Can anyone suggest what I might need to change in my configuration to
enable tcp/ip connections? All the search results I've seen so far
appear only to relate to people running MySQL (server) under windows...

Cheers,
Ben Darlow

Unless obviously public, this email is confidential to the intended recipient(s). If
you received it in error please tell the sender and then delete it. We check emails
from dyslexic.com and iansyst.co.uk, but you should virus check incoming emails.
Emails do not always represent our official policy or a contract. Errors and omissions
are excepted.

iANSYST Ltd, Fen House, Fen Road, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 1UN. T +44(0)1223 420101; Fax +44(0)
1223 42 66 44; [EMAIL PROTECTED]