Hi!

Given VFP's internals (I have to support FoxPro 2.6 apps, oh the pain of it all!),
MySQL should be capable of much better performance, considering the
only thing FoxPro has in terms of a possible advantage is Rushmore.

Which indexes do you have on the tables in the query?

Regards,

Chris

Héctor Villafuerte D. wrote:

Hi all,
I'm migrating from Visual FoxPro (I'm a newbie).
On a daily basis I need to run this query on a table with a little more than
5 million records.

+ MS Visual FoxPro 6.0
select tel, telefb, rutaentran, rutasalien, sum(minutos) as minutos from traf_oper
group by 1, 2, 3, 4 into table oper_grp
This took about 173 seconds (let's say 3 minutes)

+ MySQL 4.1.0-alpha-max-nt
mysql> create table oper_grp select tel, telefb, rutaentran, rutasalien,
-> sum(minutos) as minutos from traf_oper group by 1, 2, 3, 4;
Query OK, 3301017 rows affected (8 hours 36 min 48.83 sec) --->>> 516 minutes!
Records: 3301017 Duplicates: 0 Warnings: 0

Why is there such a big difference?! Any optimization tips I could follow?
Thanks in advance,
Hector