Error 'Can't create symlink './ffadult_recent/#sql-44b_e87.MYI' pointing
at '/var/lib/mysql/ff_recent/#sql-44b_e87.MYI' (Error 17)' on query
'ALTER TABLE recentmembers_8 add have_children tinyint unsigned not NULL
default 0'. Default database: 'ff_recent' | 0            | 346296822
| 369493795

Perror says
Error code  17:  File exists

I have 2 alters submitted on the master in sequential order. On the
slave it executes in the same order but produces error 17. Somehow the
tempfile already exists, but when I go to the datadir this temp file is
not displayed in the directory.

Performing a slave stop slave start does not work.
Restarting the mysql server on the slave is the only method I found to
recover from the error.

Version of mySQL: 4.0.15
Kernel: Linux ef242.friendfinderinc.com 2.4.18-4smp #1 SMP Sun Apr 14
13:50:35 PDT 2002 i686 unknown
*PATCHED*

- Dathan Vance Pattishall
  - Sr. Programmer and mySQL DBA for FriendFinder Inc.
  - http://friendfinder.com/go/p40688