I use MySQL in both a Unix "real" C/S config and then on my laptop standalone. The
documentation on the Web site showing how to take commands from a file is simple
enough. source file_name_containing_commands;  and this works just fine in Windows,
but in UNIX, no matter how I try to resolve the filename e.g., $HOME/my/source
file_name_containing_commands; or explicitly dereferencing the path to the command
file, I get syntax error.  Of course, it doesn't work with the same as Windows line
above since the server executing the CLI looks to its local dir.

I've spent several hours on this simple, but frustrating problem. Yes. I know the
workaround is run in batch mode with the mysql being fed a <source
file_name_containing_commands arg, but I am now simply confounded by my
[mis]understanding of this simple feature.

thanks in advance. I also did many searches across the archives before posting, so if
I missed a prior post forgive me.

-walt