Hi everyone.

I've got a web app that I'm getting ready to make public and I'm to figure
out how well MySQL will utilize multiple processors.
Has anyone seen how MySQL would scale from 1 to 8 processors?  Is it even
remotely close to linear?
My dev environment is W2K, but production will run Red Hat 9 or Red Hat
Enterprise 3  (I know the OS will make a difference in SMP utilization).

My reasoning is this:
1)  if it scales somewhat linearly, I could start with a 2-CPU box and
upgrade to an IBM440 8-CPU box or similar later when the site membership
<prayer> really takes off </prayer>.
2)  Otherwise, spray queries over a cluster of 2-CPU boxes.  Does this make
sense??

If I go with option 2, and have one master (for inserts/updates/deletes)
rep to a cluster of slaves(optimized for reads only), how often will the
master rep to the slaves?  Is it near real-time?  I couldn't find where you
specify the rep interval.
Does that setup make sense for an app that does more reads than writes??

I've searched this forum and the web, but couldn't find much info.  Sorry
if I missed anything obvious.

Many thanks!
-Bob