I had thought it was inclusive, but in quick tests I discovered it was not. I haven't tried to look it up in the documentation yet.
In my test I did a query on a contact database like this:
select lastname from contacts where lastname between 'A' and 'B';

Only 'A' names are returned. Yes, there are hundreds of 'B' names. I haven't tried this with numbers and dates to see if it's the same result. I would think it should be the same. This is using 4.0.12 (I'll have to upgrade that soon). I'd be curious what your tests show.