On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:42:23AM -0600, Mark Lubratt wrote:
> I'm considering using the raw tablespace from InnoDB for a project I'm
> working on.  I noticed a couple of years ago that there were reports of
> tablespace corruption on Linux and these raw tablespaces.  Have these
> problems been fixed? I'm considering running it on a hardware RAID
> (stripes of mirrors, I forget if that's RAID 10, or RAID 01).  Should I
> use FreeBSD instead of Linux?
>
> I'm considering this option to keep database maintenance to a minimum
> (running out of tablespace issues).  That way, InnoDB already owns all
> the disk space and I don't have to continually be adding tablespace
> files.
>
> Any thoughts?

I usually tell people to think twice about using raw disks for two
main reasons:

  1. Performance.  I've not seen anybody report a significant
     performance boost doing this.

  2. Transparency.  It's nice to be able to use a wider variety of
     tools to examine, copy, back up, and otherwise tinker with data.
     By using a raw disk, you lose most of this.

However, if the performance gain is really there, maybe it's more
important than #2.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.15-Yahoo-SMP: up 51 days, processed 1,925,631,314 queries (428/sec. avg)