installed mysql on gentoo linux.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc # mysqladmin version
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)'
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc # mysqladmin -p version
Enter password:
mysqladmin  Ver 8.40 Distrib 4.0.14, for pc-linux-gnu on i686
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc # mysqladmin variables
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)'
[EMAIL PROTECTED] etc # mysqladmin -p variables
Enter password:
| Variable_name                   | Value

Am I going to have problems further down the line if I dont sort this?
Sort what?                    |

not clear in this when or if I should edit my.cnf /mysqlaccess.cnf