Would someone please explain how to set the number of child mysqld
processes which start when mysql (mysql-standard-4.0.14-pc-linux-i686)
starts up?

        I am using MySQL on a memory-poor (32MB RAM) machine, and MySQL
seems to hog about 10MB per child process, and there are ten (10) of them
at startup.  All this, and usually there is only one or two active
connections.  So I was thinking more like two (2) child processes would
be better, but I can't seem to change it from the default (ten (10)).

        BTW, I experimented with the server parameters
(http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Server_parameters.html), but still there are
at least ten (10) mysqld child process always running.

        Thanks for your help!

George Webb
[EMAIL PROTECTED]