Hi George,

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 08:49, George Webb wrote:
>       Would someone please explain how to set the number of child mysqld
> processes which start when mysql (mysql-standard-4.0.14-pc-linux-i686)
> starts up?
>
>       I am using MySQL on a memory-poor (32MB RAM) machine, and MySQL
> seems to hog about 10MB per child process, and there are ten (10) of them
> at startup.  All this, and usually there is only one or two active
> connections.  So I was thinking more like two (2) child processes would
> be better, but I can't seem to change it from the default (ten (10)).
>
>       BTW, I experimented with the server parameters
> (http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Server_parameters.html), but still there are
> at least ten (10) mysqld child process always running.

MySQL does not use multiple processes.
It is single process, multithreaded.

What may be confusing you is the fact that in the Linux 2.2 and 2.4
kernels, ps shows threads as processes. I believe this has been fixed in
2.6. Anyway it's purely a visual thing, threads are threads anyway.

Apart from some internal threads, MySQL uses a thread for each
connection. These threads do need some memory of course. The
connection-specific variables can be adjusted.
You can also set the maximum # of connections the server will allow.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Technical Writer, Trainer
Brisbane, QLD Australia

Melbourne 1 December (5 days): Using & Managing MySQL Training
Training,Support,Licenses,T-shirts @ https://order.mysql.com/?marl