William R. Mussatto wrote:

Joe Lewis said:

We're experiencing the same issues, but not neccesarily after an
upgrade.  We're using MySQL 4.0.12 and FreeBSD 4.7 Release.  We're
getting max'd connections only on specific users, and the "show
processlist" is returning only the "show processlist" process.  the
results of netstat show absolutely nothing.

What I think is happening is the connections are not properly getting
closed.  The users are allowed to connect after a "flush user_resources"
is run.  Is there a bug in the particular version of MySQL (4.0.12)
where the "user connections" are not getting decremented when a
connection is "closed"?

Joe

Is the user running "show processlist" allowed to see all processes (e.g.
'root')?

Yes, indeed.